Roads This page lists and describes a number of the roads in the area. A photograph is included where the Banstead History Research Group has one and most are taken from a private collection of postcards owned by the webmaster. Other sources are individually credited.
If you would like your road included, please contact BHRG and we will add it to the site.
Buff Avenue, Banstead

Buff Avenue was built on the eastern edge of the Buff House Estate. Taken in 1933, this picture shows the road before street lights had been installed.
Buff Avenue Banstead.  Postcard from Lewis Wood collection.
Colcokes Rd, Banstead

Awaiting text
Colcokes Road. Frith postcard from Lewis Wood collection.
Court Road, Banstead

This postcard is postmarked Burgh Heath August 1913. The houses were built about 10 years earlier.
Court Rd, G.P.Roberts postcard from Lewis Wood collection.
Diceland Road, Banstead

In 1680, Lambert records that three parcels of arable land called Dicelands were held by Thomas Puplett. In 1745 a field of seven acres called Diceland was purchased by Robert Shallcross.
Diceland Road was extended to Brighton Road in about 1914. Initially only the part near Shrubland Road was built, then plots were laid out on land belonging to the Gables. The kink in the road marks the join.
The London suburbs have many of these Edwardian houses; Banstead has very few and many small businesses became established here. The Burgh Heath telephone exchange for example was opened in 1923.
Diceland Road early 1900s. Postcard from Lewis Wood collection.
The Drive, Banstead

Awaiting content from Archives
BHRG LOGO - No picture available
Fiddicroft Avenue, Banstead
Lambert records the following : Fetticroft. No doubt the same as Fidelond (1325),or Videlond(1364). Le fideland was on the North side of the lane leading to Woodmerstone.
In 1550 it was recorded as a 'Messauge' with garden called Fidecrofts and in 1618 a close called Fiddicrofts. In 1765, it is recorded as a parcel of ground (ie Well House garden) on the West side of a copyhold enclosed Field called Feddicroft, whereon Sir Daniel Lambert had built a brick wall.
Fiddicroft Avenue Banstead - early photograph held by Banstead library
Ferndale Road, Banstead
The first part of Ferndale Road was built around 1900 and the kink in the road marks the extension to Brighton Road in about1910.
The house name on the gate on the right hand side is 'Cranleigh'. This was the home of Edward Gale, the headmaster of the Village School and later the first school in Picquets Way. He lived here for about 20 years.
The sender of this particular postcard in 1930 forgot to sign her name but notes that the family lived in the second house on the left.
Ferndale Rd, Banstead.  Postcard from Lewis Wood collection.
Garratts Lane, Banstead

Garratts Lane was once the main thoroughfare into the village from Brighton Road and is still well used nowadays.

In the late 19th century, John Lambert lived here in Garratts Hall.


The photo shows Garratts Lane at the junction with Colcokes Road.

Garratt's Lane Banstead. Frith postcard from Lewis Wood collection.
Glenfield Road, Banstead
This postcard was sent by A Bunce in 1933.

Glenfield Road, Banstead.  Postcard from Lewis Wood collection.
Greenhayes Avenue, Banstead
A large house called Greenhayes stood back from Bolters Lane about where Greenhayes Gardens are now. It was the home of Sir Allen Sarle, secretary of the London,Brighton and South coast railway until his death in 1903.
Greenhayes Avenue was built from 1934, part of the widespread development of Banstead at this period.
This postcard was sent from 71 Greenhayes Avenue in December 1945.

Greenhayes Avenue, Banstead.  Postcard from Lewis Wood collection.
High Street, Banstead
First mentioned in 1433 Le Hyestrete (Lambert). This runs along an ancient trackway. The built up banking outside the Institute is all that remains of the evidence for the old track.
The photograph on the right was taken in 1906 from the top of the scaffolding, during the construction of the new Police Station. It clearly shows how narrow the High St was at that time and also the open fields on the North side of the street. The nearest house on the South side is Ivy house which is still there today.
View of High Street Banstead taken from the top of the Police station. Postcard from Lewis Wood collection.
Tonge's Post office and grocers. Postcard from Lewis Wood collection. This grocer's shop opened in about 1855. The Penny Post had begun in 1840 and Mr Selsby the grocer became postmaster. The shop then became Tonges and by 1911 there were four deliveries a day from the post office at Tonges(A14,A15).
By 1910 they had a public telephone and the number was BH 10.
Higher Drive, Banstead

Higher drive, Banstead.  Postcard from Lewis Wood collection.
Holly Lane, Banstead
The gate on the left led to Court House now St Anne's school.
The other gate led to Garratts Hall. The East lodge, now a private dwelling still stands on this corner.
Holly lane, Banstead. Postcard from Lewis Wood collection.
Longcroft Avenue, Banstead

Early photograph of Longcroft Avenue held by the Banstead History Centre.
Lyme Regis Road, Banstead

Lyme Regis Road. Postcard from Lewis Wood collection
Nork Way, Nork
The earliest mention of Nork is in 1723 (Lambert). It may derive from Northern Oak.

Nork was the location of a large estate and property called Nork House built in 1740 by the Buckle family.

The postcard shows Nork Way at the junction of Warren Road.
Nork Way. Postcard from Lewis Wood collection.
Nork Way was built by Halden Estates of the Strand around 1926 as the main thoroughfare of the new housing estate between Fir Tree Road and Reigate Road. The developers offered a choice of house plans. There was a small two bedroomed cottage with no bathroom and an outside toilet, which was the design of Mr Humphries one of the directors of Haldens who was the man behind the whole scheme. He wanted to show that the estate could have small as well as large houses on the large plots. The cottage was priced at 695 for house and land. At least two of the designs were built in Nork Way. Other houses were more expensive. 1000 for three bedrooms and 1375 for a larger 4 bedroomed house. Despite the grand plans the houses didn't sell fast enough and Haldens went bankrupt in 1929.
Park Road, Banstead

Park Road, Banstead.  Postcard from Lewis Wood collection.
Pound Rd, Banstead

Pound Road takes its name from the pound where stray animals were kept.

The cottages on the right hand side of the photograph date from the middle 1800s. Those on the left are later, around 1890.

The 1866 map, shows the pound being by the Brighton Road, south of the council house site.
Pound Road, Banstead. Postcard from Lewis Wood collection.
Salisbury Road, Banstead

Previously called the Alley, Salisbury Road is nearly as old as the High street.

By 1866, gabled houses had replaced the original cottages.
Salisbury Road, Banstead from a postcard held by the 
Banstead Histoty Centre.
Shrubland Road, Banstead

This card was postmarked by the Banstead postoffice 4.00pm on the 13th August 1931
Shrubland Road, Banstead.  Postcard from Lewis Wood collection.
Sutton Lane, Banstead

This card was sent on the 18th September 1918, postmarked by the Banstead postoffice at 8.15am.
Sutton Lane, Banstead. postcard from Lewis wood collection.
Winkworth Road, Banstead

Winkworth Road was built in 1931/2 and was first called the Banstead by-pass. It took a great deal of traffic away from the High street although there does not seem to have been much happening when this photograph was taken!

This postcard was sent on the 6th Jan 1949.
Winkworth Road, Banstead.  Postcard from Lewis Wood collection.

Public contribution to BHRG Seven Starr Devon sent us a scanned image of a 1935 postcard. .

Public contribution to BHRG Tina Claydon from Devon sent us a photograph of a snow bound Winkworth Road, taken in the 1960's.

Yewlands Close, Banstead

The houses in Yewlands Close were built after the 1939/45 War on the site of a large house and grounds on the east side of Park Road. The house was demolished in 1937.

Originally it had been owned by the Lambert family in the 16th century. In 1729 it was bought by Isaac Hughes, who built the house the following year. Later owners were the Aubertin family and (in 1879) J M Robertson, who was the main plaintiff in the action (Robertson v Hartopp) to preserve the Banstead Commons from being built over.
BHRG LOGO - No picture available